“I hoped that my obvious discomfort would put him off as I didn’t want to sound immature by saying something”
This reminds me of the awkward lunch that day. I was telling Megz I think I really came across as someone really rude and disrespectful (and possibly very low EQ) because I kept using my phone when my senior was talking to me about his product. Not only that, we were supposed to be sitting opposite and thus, facing each other but I sat facing some other direction and was looking at the other tables while he was talking.
I really thought that by showing my very obvious discomfort will make him stop or maybe, at least attempt to change the topic of the conversation. I was embarrassed by my actions, especially when he reminded me to "try to not use my phone" when his manager's talking to me and also reminded me to maybe give a handshake or something. He probably thinks I have very poor social etiquette (BUT I'M NOT VERY BAD OK. IT WAS JUST ME FEELING AWKWARD.)
But I think that's how I really am when I'm faced with an awkward situation. Someone once told me that my awkward face is damn obvious. Idk, is it really better to feign your interest (but isn't that being fake, pretending to be interested when you're clearly not? or is that being mature because at least you're trying and not make the other person feel awkward?) or JUST BE AWKWARD BECAUSE IT IS AWKWARD INDEED.
I've always thought people will know when to stop talking because we should all have the ability to sense the awkwardness - isn't it like an innate ability.... (ok sorry, not saying that people who can't seem to sense awkward situations are dumb or what but... k IDK how to explain myself.) I imagine awkward to be like some sort of cloud/bubble that floats up whenever the situation is . .. ..... .. and both parties already can sense and visualize the awkward bubble in between them which then prompts them to end the conversation/walk away.
{This part a bit random, can just skip}
I think I will not be a very good sales person. People who work in sales seem to want to PUSH people into doing something - as in, that's their job lah but to push people without being conscious of whether it's a little too much + awkward? I don't think I can do that. I'm like...... I'll just let the customers see for themselves and talk only when its needed and definitely not too much because I wouldn't like sales assistants constantly pushing stuff to me.
That day when I was out in town with TW and WY, this little boy (ok not little but obviously smaller than I am) tried to make us buy some movie tickets, some package don't know what. WY just walked away and said she's not studying in Singapore and so she wouldn't use it. TW didn't even respond because I think she already walked away HAHAHA SO I WAS THE ONLY ONE THERE and WY asked me why I got cornered by the little boy. Literally cornered at Mandarin Gallery area by someone younger than me because I didn't know how to reject him when he was trying to convince me to buy. Thank God for the timely phone call.
Sometimes I think I let myself into these awkward situations because I don't know how to say no, firmly.
{END of random excerpt}
So who's actually in the "wrong" in such a situation? The one feeling very awkward and expresses his/her awkwardness openly or the one who continues to make the other person feel awkward despite knowing that the other person is already feeling awkward (or maybe he/she doesn't know, not too sure about that). Not that there's anyone to blame actually but, what could have been done about it to make the situation less awkward? Hm.
There was also this part where his manager asked me to close my eyes and imagine something (can't remember what). I didn't know what I was supposed to do because "Am I like supposed to close my eyes and have two of them staring at me or......?" IT WAS SO AWKWARD I WANTED TO LAUGH OUT LOUD (but that would have made the entire situation more awkward because I will have to explain why I was laughing)
If you're wondering, I didn't close my eyes because it was just weird. I looked down though.
Being trapped in awkward situations suck. I experienced another one when I was on a train the other day, shall include that in another post the next time I blog because I think this one's getting long.
Before I end, ALY THIS REMINDED ME OF YOU
HAHAH BUT YOU KNOW WE'RE STILL FRIENDS DESPITE YOUR PASSION FOR GOLF.
